Thursday, August 27, 2009

Why, when I just want to go home, don't I get my work done and leave?

My title of this post pretty much says it all. Why DON'T I just hurry myself along and finish up things I need to do to be ready to leave? Well. That's a good question.

I'm in that distractable state where I just want to play. Yes, I want to dart home, change into non-sweaty clothes, and then find something fun to do. I wish I knew someone who wanted a happy hour Thursday! I need more single people in my life! Not having a second job . . .well, I've been almost bored this week. Gasp. I know.

Speaking of jobs, my main job is going pretty well. I'm enjoying this new group of 8th graders quite a lot. Rather chatty but seem very good-natured thus far. I think some of the less savory characters were weeded out before these kids got to me. Right now I'm in the beginning stages of challenging them to read books on their own and to find a reason to appreciate poetry. I'm also trying to help them prepare to find topics they'd like to write about this year. And I'm getting to know them. They're really quite a friendly group overall. Really, most seem willing to help out.

Putting that warm, glowy moment aside for a second, I'm both tremendously excited and apprehensive about next Monday. Next Monday I begin the writing class I've wanted to take for a year now. Of course, then doubts assail me. I have a lot of ideas, but do I have the commitment to follow through with anything? That I'm not sure about. I've never made much time in my life for writing. But I've been thinking: won't I teach writing so much better if I actually spend time writing myself? I mean, the kind of writing appreciation and skill and WORKSHOP that I want my students to have, I myself have never experienced. So I think if I try this, I will improve. And that is pretty exciting.

And now it is after 4 p.m., kids have been gone for an hour, and I could have been gone too . . .enough chatter. Finish.

3 comments:

  1. Sign me up for happy hour, the Thursday edition - maybe we can meet halfway...Pittsburgh it is! =)

    Glad it's going well with the kiddos so far! Here's hoping they continue to give you those warm, glowy moments.

    And you and this writing class...I'm sensing a fantastic combination, something along the lines of peanut butter and chocolate melding together into something amazing...I think it's going to be so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so supportive! One of thousands of reasons why I'm so glad you're my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, right back at you, Kerry Marie! Keep us posted on the writing class - I'm so excited that you're doing this! :)

    ReplyDelete