Monday, November 16, 2009

blooms in the dying time

Wow. It is absolutely phenomenal how one's life swings in different directions so swiftly. Last week at this time I was mourning the fact that I wouldn't see my family for Thanksgiving. Now not only am I getting to fly home via help from my "thanksgiving angel," but I felt the warmth of loving friends all around me tonight.

First, my TA. Last Monday I had my writing class and shared very briefly my disappointment in being unable to go home. Tuesday morning I had an email from a lady in my small writing group asking very politely "If you don't mind me asking, is the reason you're not going home for Thanksgiving because of money?" As I didn't really mind her asking (knowing what I do know about her, she's not a nosy woman), I admitted yes. Her reply, "Well, I know this will sound odd, and I'll give you the essay answer why if you want, but I really want and need to offer you $500 to help you get a plane ticket home. No repayment necessary."

Come again?? Really? You want to just randomly give me money? Why? But in my heart, I kind of knew why. However, even with that amount, should I decide to accept it, I couldn't make it home to Amarillo still. It's more like $800 to get there.

So as I often do when I have a crazy story, I call KC. To my utter astonishment, her response is less of a "no way . . .too bad it still costs so much." It was more of a "Oh, that's so crazy! I was looking up flights for you, and I found one for $440 to Lubbock," which is about 1 1/2 hours from my home. I don't know if you believe in signs, but I felt like this might be one that I should go home. As for the reason why, I have no idea. It just seemed too coincidental to have this offer for a plane ticket and an affordable way to get home all in same day and not have it mean something.

So I accepted the money. I know I don't deserve it, but I guess that's part of what makes it so special . . .the sheer grace of it all.

And not to detract from my angel moment, but just my writing class in general tonight. I felt so incredibly, unexpectedly blessed again to have so many people there to support me. Karen, Tess, Leah, and Ryleigh drove me down, and Alison and Chereia joined us soon after. I think everyone was pretty amazed to see so many people come . . .I just felt honored. I felt such admiration for the women and the words and again, such a joy in getting to be a part of a class like that. And such gratitude for having friends who care.

I feel like I've been embraced by Love.

2 comments:

  1. You, and the loving people who surround you, have just brightened my day considerably. And I'm SO GLAD I'll get to see you at Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you deserved that "thanksgiving angel" I needed you here woman! :) was so glad to have for a few days; can't wait til christmas!

    ReplyDelete