Monday, September 14, 2009

Empowered

Phew.

Considering I've been awake and functioning for nigh on 14 and 1/2 hours today, I feel unexpectedly energetic . . .even exuberant.

Yes. I know. It's strange.

And I was worried 5 hours ago that I wouldn't be able to make it till the end of my 2 1/2 hour writing class tonight.

But I stroll in, wash my dishes, grab a glass of wine, and wah-lah: here I am.

From where does such energy stem? From feeling not only the interest of my small writing group, but their support and their sympathy, and admiration . . .?? Yes, I think that's it. I was so nervous about tonight's class--the 2nd one--potentially more nerve-wracking than the first because tonight we were separated into little groups of 4 . . .and these are the women we're sharing our writing with for the next 12 Mondays. Holy shit. No pressure or anything.

I brought a very long poem I wrote for KC. She hasn't gotten it yet. But I think if three before-unknown women can get what I want her to get, then it should go ok. I bawled my freakin' eyes out as I read it. Another woman grabbed a tissue, too. And they liked my poem's format. And the crying woman said she wished she had a sister like me. Actually, she said some other really nice things, too, but they're probably not best shared here.

So I just felt so affirmed, like it was the right thing for me to do this writing class. Their writing, too, made me want to hear more. We all seem quite different, but alike in willingness to be open and supportive. I hope that proves true throughout the semester.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the class is going well!! Now you have some groupies to encourage you in your writing endeavors. I'll keep sending you emails, too, since I'm guessing we're caught in a never-ending death spiral of phone-tag from now until the end of time. =) That way I'll hone my writing skills, too - sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Erin, every time I'm at that class, I think you should be there, too! It's just a great place to express oneself, and I know you've thought about writing before. There is a woman there who works in the business world with a lot of men, and she had this sarcastic, funny piece which made me think of you!

    ReplyDelete