Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mild Heart Palpitations

Whew--taking a breather!

You'd think that packing one lil backpack and one lil purse that it would only take, oh, say an hour. At the most.

Yeah, well, you'd be wrong. If you're anything like me, you adopt a "more is better" philosophy when it comes to packing. The minimalist style requires most of my afternoon and evening it seems as I go over and over my lists to make certain I've crammed every nook and cranny with every possible "essential." At times like these, I wish I were a guy. I could throw my spare shirt, pants, undergarment, pack of gum, passport, credit card, iPod, and (hopefully) deodorant and toothbrush into my pack and go.

As it is, I'm mildly stressing. I made what I hoped would be my final run to a store to purchase products for this trip. Now, let's clarify here. I have all of these products all ready. However. Yes, that key word--however. Apparently none of them are small enough to fit inside my bags. AND, as it turns out, I need a slightly bigger purse to compensate for all my-ahem-crap. SOOOO, that means . . .you guessed it--another run to a store. Dear Lord. My heart picks up pounding at an alarming rate at the very thought of another receipt of a purchase I've made purely for this trip--and I haven't even made it to the airport yet. Let's not even discuss my anxiety about spending 10 hours on a plane attempting to snooze. Sleeping draughts, here we come!

All I can say is, at least I'm not riding a bike.

2 comments:

  1. I am SO excited for you to embark on this European adventure!! I'm really impressed with the backpacking business - as the consummate overpacker, I have mild heart palpitations thinking about stuffing my essentials in anything smaller than a 30" suitcase with wheels.

    Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry Berry,

    Keep a journal; write a book. we love your humor and writing style. God speed & love,
    Joepy Joe

    ReplyDelete